Monday, January 30, 2012

what's for dinner?

I often wonder, what do people feed their families for dinner? I just love getting recommendations for recipes and foods to try but never though of sharing our cycle of things.  So, here's a look at what we had for dinner the last 7 nights so you can get some ideas!  I've had a blast with Pintrest and have been trying 1-2 new recipes each week from online.  Please share yours with me!


Chicken Parmesan Wraps - fun and easy!
I only got a before picture and we gobbled up the end results! Easy peasy.
Curried Chicken Salad sandwiches (I added avocado) & fruit (this was so good I made it again the next day for lunch!)

Pancakes & fruit

Chicken Gumbo & no-knead bread (this was gross, no one really liked it. Don't tell Martha.)
White chicken enchiladas, chips & salsa (from my Real Simple magazine)
Crock pot split pea soup, my favorite!
Pizza

Some of our "go to" things are the no-knead bread which I make ahead and freeze the extra for whenever we want to add bread to a meal, black bean burgers (you can buy them frozen and heat them up, super easy!), chicken curry & rice, breakfast for dinner (like eggs & toast or waffles), pizza (we alternate between home made and frozen), tacos salad or fajitas.

Other things I do to make cooking quick and easy...
*clean and chop all my celery and freeze for use in soups etc.
*clean and chop my green onions and freeze them too - I also do this for zucchini
*cook all my chicken in the crock pot in mass loads and then shred it/cube it and freeze - this makes dinner prep so much cleaner and again faster!
*freeze cookie dough in logs so you can chop and cook to have fresh cookies on command without the mess - thanks Amy H. for the tip!

And, for fun...
Pelican Lake Pancakes (family recipe):
1 C. buttermilk
1 C. flour (I tried whole wheat and they weren't as good, next time I'll try half white half wheat)
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
*cook on skillet or stove with or without butter to crisp up those edges :)  flip them once they are all bubbly on the raw dough side.

No-Knead Bread (recipe from Amy R.)
3 C. luke warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
6 1/2 C. flour (I use half wheat, half white)
*Mix ingredients in 5 quart container, let it rise at room temp for about 2 hours - covered loosely. Cut into four grapefruit size portions and sprinkle with flour and shape into a ball. Let it rest for about 40 min on a pizza wheel or wooden board (I actually put them straight into my everyday dishes bowls since that fits best in my oven here).  Cover with cornmeal or parchment paper while they rise. Once the over is heated pour water into a broiling pan and place beneath dough as it cooks for 30 at 450 degrees.

Please do email me your tips or recipes! Or leave them here - I know everyone would appreciate it :)

3 comments:

Kyleen said...

I make this bread all the time too! The only thing I do different is I stick the whole thing in my fridge and pull out a chunk as needed, form it and let rise, then bake at 350* for 30 mins. I didn't know about the water trick, I'll try that tomorrow!
We make pizza a lot too, do you have a big cast iron skillet? We like to bake our pizza in there, makes an awesome deep dish crust! Use a little butter and cornmeal before spreading your dough in there. Mmmm...
I also have a great recipe for chick pea bread which packs more protein and fiber than normal wheat bread and it has a potato bread texture. Double Yum! I can email it to you if you want.

Miss you Kel! Hope we get to see you guys sometime soon and meet lady Evelyn. Love seeing pictures of everything. xoxoxo

Kyleen said...

Chickpea Bread

1 3/4 C water
3 TBSP EVOO
1 can Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans, drained (1 1/3 cups)
6 C Bread Flour
2 TBSP dry milk
2 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Makes 2 loaves. Easy to make in a bread machine or stand mixer. Brush top with milk before baking for a nice glazed look. Bake for 30 mins at 350*F.

Blomgrens said...

That's awesome Ky! Thank you!! I'll have to try your bread recipe soon and let you know how much we love it :) We'll be in MN in May - let's plan a few "play dates". Love you so much!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...